Monday 15 July 2013

10 Things I Hate About....

Ok so maybe the word "hate" is a bit too strong but nevertheless, today's post is about something that irks me every single year. Summer. That's right, I've got beef with this season. Summer has plenty of nice things to offer us like: BBQs, excuses to go swimming, days of lolling about doing nothing, eating ice cream, sitting outside in the garden and generally making people happier. Whilst I enjoy doing some of these activities, for me, the pros of Summer are without a doubt outdone by its cons.

1. Hay fever: Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I suffer from this terribly. It doesn't matter how many anti-histamines I take, how much honey I eat or how much Vaseline I dab onto my nostrils; hay fever kills me every single time. My eyes go so red that I resemble some sort of demon and my nose is so red that I could put Rudolph the Reindeer out of a job.

2. Heat: I'm a typical British person in this sense because I complain about the weather all the time. "It's too hot" and "Oh no, it's far too cold!" There's no happy medium of how I want the weather to be for me because either way I'm grumpy and uncomfortable. If I can't cope with a so-called heatwave in Britain, there's no way in hell I'm moving to a hotter country. What's that? Oooh a ticket to the North Pole...

3. Tan: I know the sun is a giver of light and makes everything grow but when it comes to brown people it is avoided like the plague. My friends will be running around delightfully showing off their tan. Then, there's me. Sitting in the shade, with my sunglasses on. Why? Because south Asians don't like to tan; we're born with one.

4. Humidity: I have very curly hair, so when the humidity rises so does my hair. And that's when I find out that products like John Frieda's "Frizz Control" and L'Oreal's "Smoothening Serum" are full of cr*p. It doesn't matter how much hair serum or conditioner I use, the Summer makes my hair come alive. And because of the heat, it's too hot to straighten my hair (2 hours? No thanks).

5. People: When it's hot, you don't really want to be around other human beings. Especially on the Tube, central London area or your local high street. The collective mass of body heat coupled with the soaring temperatures is enough to put me into a coma. Then there's the smell: sweaty, salty, burning, unwashed human skin smell.

6. People: I appreciate that many individuals work hard in the gym and want to show off their results. If you're confident, got it, then flaunt it - don't mind me peeping at ya through my sunglasses. But what I can't stand is the wannabe "rude bwoys" who take off their shirts, wear snap backs, low riding trousers and prance about as though they are extras in a YMCMB music video. Stop it. Stop it right now.

7. Work: I'm a self-confessed workaholic and I genuinely enjoy working, unless it's hot outside. Buildings in Britain are not adapted to such temperatures so it ends up being hotter inside than outside. Result? Tetchy employees who become irritable, sweaty and unhappy. Further result? Work is done with a sense of reluctance. Solution? Air conditioning and ice-cream for all.

8. Feet: Many people forget that their feet is also covered in skin which needs to be moisturised and shown a bit of TLC every now and again. We all too often neglect our feet because we shove them into socks, trainers, flats or boots. But come the Summer, out come the sandals and the shrieks of horror when we see our feet once Winter is over.

9. Motivation: When the temperature goes up, unfortunately motivation tends to go down. Anything that requires physical exertion or slight movement results in you sweating profusely. While we'd love to be one of those effortlessly hot hip hop video girls who effortlessly struts her stuff in the searing heat, the fact of the matter is that we'd rather soak in a cool tub of water.

10. Make up: This is a pet peeve for women when it comes to the Summer. Magazines scream the latest trends and hottest seasonal looks for the Summer which usually requires the good ol' slap. And a lot of it.
It's all well and good that the models in their campaigns look flawless in a desert shoot but have you seen me walking down the High St in the summer? I swear to God, the make up melts off my face (even if it's just concealer) which makes me wonder why I even bothered to do so in the first place.

Are you a Summer lover? Or do you prefer Winter? Let me know with your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment